Mittwoch, 22. Oktober 2008

Trip to Hallig Hooge

We are soo excited - finally done with our exams. It is always so exhausting - College is hard. Sometimes I wish I would be done already.

So we decided to get a couple of days of to go to "Hallig Hooge". It is a small island in the North-Sea - but wait a minute - it's not a island - it's a hallig.

What is a Hallig - you probably wonder? - It is a little islands, with sometimes only one farmhouse upon a Warft = a artificial hill, which has today a high up to roundabout 8 meters (24 ft). The Hallig Hooge, one of the biggesd, has roundabout 200 people and has a church upon a Warft.

Hallig Hooge has also her own school on a Warft. If a stormfloat comes up, the teacher does sent home the children, because the Hallig becomes in a very short time "landunter" = land under (water). This means the float goes over the Hallig and only the houses upon the Warften looks out of the water of the North-Sea. All this little an bigger islands have an effect like wave breakers for the mainland.
Over all there live 120 people on the island - 2 of them are kids who are in school right now.

It is pretty scarry - and we saw videos of land under - you can't believe it.

This is what it looks like when there is "LAND UNDER"


Well - back to our trip - there was no land under, when we were there.
You can't go there by car - so we took the ferry - nice but very cold!



When we got there our renter of the holiday appartment picked us up and drove us to the little flat we booked. It was really nice, he had built it himself, and it had a really nice galerie.
The only bad thing - the beds were horrible!

The house and our flat - just to get an idea:



Since there are no cars allowed on the island we took a couple of trips on the bycicles. Those are special bikes, because of the salty wind, normal bikes get rusty very fast.
The only bad thing about an island is, that whereever you go - the one way - the wind pushes you - but oh the other way .....

Christoph enjoyed riding the bikes a lot: :-)

In the back you can see the house, in which we lived, and the sea wall, which saves the houses of the water in times of land under.





The best part of our trip was to fly our kites. We got those huge kites - which are don't have bars in it - so they don't burst, when we crashed thom on the ground! And that happend a lot.

Since the kites were so big - we had a hard time to get them under control - since they pulled hard on us.
The wind is just wonderful at the north-sea and it let us enjoy the evenings even more.


Giving it a start:



and this is Christoph crashing it:



we really enjoyed having time - and not studying. Those were such wonderful days!



I hope we will be able to come and visit all of you in USA next time - I know what we have to do since then! :-) (Susy)

Love ya all!

5 Kommentare:

Tayna hat gesagt…

Looks like so much fun! Our sound on our computer isn't working. I wish it were, it would be so fun to hear your voice again! It's so beautiful there. I hope you can come to the USA soon too! Get it done and come :)

Ashley hat gesagt…

That is pretty crazy those places can get to be under water, I want to visit a Hallig Hooge. Looks like a fun trip, I'm glad you are done with all your exams, college makes life crazy, but it only lasts so long. Thanks for the post.
Nolan and Ashley

Jill Lau hat gesagt…

What a fun trip! It is always nice to get away from everything for awhile. I loved the pictures. What a fun and different place to visit. love ya

Jenny Lee hat gesagt…

Frauke,
I just found your blog! It was so good to hear from you. I miss you. You were so much fun. I know my family loved you very much and still does. Your apartment is so nice. It looks like a great space. Your trip to the island looked really fun. That did look scary when it was land under! Wow! You look great. I'm glad that you are happy.

Susy Harper hat gesagt…

I'm so glad you are blogging now! Its a great way to keep in touch and we do want to keep in touch with you. I'm glad you had such a fun trip. My question is-"Why do people live on Halligs? Don't they worry about land unders???" Maybe you should start Halloween in Germany. You would have to dress up as somehing different than Nolan for them to get the idea! Ps I think your hair should be more poofy.